Get advice, answers, and information

Which Will Is Right for Me?

If you’re ready to get started with your will, a last will and testament may be enough to meet your needs. If you’re remarried, or want to give property to your grandchildren, consider these other types of wills:

Will for parents of minor children

This will has been tailored for parents (married or single) with a child or children under 18. It has the major provisions of all wills as well as specific portions regarding your underage children. Keep in mind that this will remains valid after your children become adults, excluding the portions about guardianship of your children when they’re minors.

Will for re-married people with minor children

Similar to the will for parents with minor children, the will for re-married people with minor children contains provisions for children from either marriage. In other words, if you have children from your previous marriage and/or children from your current marriage, this will allows you to designate who will have the responsibility for those children, which children receive which property, and more.

Will for grandparent with a grandchildren’s trust

If you’re a grandparent with a trust for your grandchild(ren), this will has been crafted for your situation. The will for grandparents with a grandchildren’s trust also allows for distributions to your spouse, adult children, friends, charities, and others. If you have recently become a grandparent and already have a legal will, you can also consider creating a codicil to will, which allows you to make certain changes to your existing estate plan.

Will for parents of adult children

If your child or children have left the nest (or at least if they’re considered legal adults), the will for parents of adult children may be right for your situation. You won’t have to designate guardianship or responsibility for your children, of course, but you’ll still be able to leave them whatever property and belongings you might choose to set aside.

Wills for re-married parents of adult children

Much like will for re-married parents with minor children, this document allows you to make specific provisions for specific children from your current or previous marriage. But, since your children are legal adults, you won’t have to worry about selecting a guardian. You can, of course, still distribute property to your current or former spouse, as well as any other people or entities you wish, such as your parents, friends, or a charity of your choosing.

Wills for married people with no children

When you’ve tied the knot, it’s natural to start thinking about the future. The will for married people with no children lets you do just that, allowing you to distribute your belongings to your parents, friends, charities, and of course, your spouse. If, in the future, you do end up having children, it’s recommended you either create a new will or update your existing one with a codicil.

Will for single people with no children

Just because you’re not married and you don’t have kids doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have a will. The will for single people skips the questions about your spouse, children, and grandchildren. You can still designate an executor and leave property to the important people and entities in your life (your parents, friends, and favorite charities, for example) but no provisions for children are included in this will.